text size A A | Accessibility | Sitemap

"Sadeh Lok produces high quality verbal and published information"

CSE Assessor

Location: Home > Money Matters > Benefit Changes

Benefit Changes

The Welfare Reform Act 2012 made a number of changes that affect residents who receive benefits.

If you are worried about how you will be affected, please contact your Income Officer, Iram Shabir, Shuaib Kaleem, Nafisa Fatima or Fulak Mushtaq at Sadeh Lok on 01484 435715 option 1.

The main changes are explained below:

Benefit cap

During Summer 2013 a cap has been introduced on the total amount of benefit that people of the working age can receive.  This means that workless households can no longer receive more in benefits than the average earnings of working households.  For more information click here


How many bedrooms do you have?

The government has introduced new rules about the number of bedrooms households need. From April 2013, the amount of Housing Benefit paid will be reduced if residents have more bedrooms than the goverment say they need.  For more information click here



Universal Credit

Universal Credit will simplify the benefits system by bringing together a range of working-age benefits into a single payment.  Claimants will gradually be moved onto Universal Credit from April 2014.  For more information click here


Personal Independence Payment

Disability Living Allowance for working age people is being abolished. From April 2013 disabled people will claim Personal Independence Payments instead. Existing claimants of Disability Living Allowance will also have to claim the new benefit.  For more information click here



Changes affecting pensioners

Although most of the changes will affect only working age claimants, there are some changes that will also affect Pensioners.  In particular people who haven’t already claimed Pension Credit when the new rules are bought in may find that they are classed as working age.  For more information click here


Discretionary Housing Payments

Discretionary Housing Payments (DHP's) are payments made to help people who get some Housing Benefit or Universal Credit.  For more information click here   


To apply for DHP's please complete the attached form and return it to your Local Council:

Kirklees Discretionary Housing Payment Form

Wakefield Discretionary Housing Payment Form


More information

Do you need help with money or debt related matters?

If you have money worries or are struggling to pay your rent please contact your Income Officer on 01484 435715 choose option 1.

For advice on money matters, including debt, you can get support from:

  • Kirklees Benefit Advice Service on 01484 223950 (Huddersfield) or 01924 326010 (Dewsbury)
  • Fusion Housing on 01484 223922 (Huddersfield) or 01924 454770 (Dewsbury)
  • The Springs Advice Centre on 01924 302086 (Wakefield)

Other sources of help and advice include:


This is an organisation that helps people access the money available to them – through welfare benefits, grants and other financial help.  Their free accessible website has been designed to help you find appropriate sources of financial support quickly and easily.  

Click here to visit the Turn2us website. 

Money Advice Service

This free service provides free, independent, practical advice either online, over the phone or face to face.  

Click here to visit the Money Advice website.

Citizens Advice Bureau

The Citizens Advice service helps people resolve their legal, money and other problems by providing free, independent and confidential advice, and by influencing policymakers.

Click here to visit the Citizens Advice Bureau website.  

Kirklees Citizens Advice - Huddersfield

2nd Floor
Standard House

Half Moon Street


West Yorkshire


Telephone 0844 848 7970

Kirklees Citizens Advice - Dewsbury

Units 5/6 Empire House
Wakefield Old Road


West Yorkshire

WF12 8DJ

Telephone 0844 848 7970

Citizens Advice Bureau - Wakefield

Ground Floor
27 King Street


West Yorkshire


Telephone 0844 499 4138

Click here for further information.

Citizens Advice Bureau - Rotherham & District

Wellgate Old Hall
120-126 Wellgate


South Yorkshire

S60 2LN

Telephone 08444 111 444 Adviceline

The important thing is that you act quickly and don’t delay.  Many of these organisations are busy, so phone ahead as you make need to make an appointment.

Check your benefit entitlement

Different departments deal with different types of benefits.  If you think you are entitled to a benefit contact the department shown below:



Unemployment and work related benefits

Jobcentre Plus

0800 055 6688

Residents with a disability or carers

Benefit Enquiry Line

0800 882200

Child Benefit and Tax Credits


The Inland Revenue

0845 300 3900

Council Tax or Housing Benefit

Your Local Council:

01484 414950 Kirklees

08458 504 504 Wakefield

01709 336065 Rotherham

State Retirement Pension

The Pensions Service

0800 9912340

Annual Report 2015/16

Please click here

Safer Newsletter out now - June 2017

For the latest news and tips from  WYJS (West Yorkshire Joint Services) download the attached newsletter.  ...
Read more

Skelmanthorpe new homes available for rent

Sadeh Lok, part of the Incommunities Group, is pleased to announce an exciting new development coming soon to Skelmanthorpe in June 2017. The developm ...
Read more

Fartown affordable homes taking shape

Thirteen family-sized houses are taking shape in Sadeh Lok’s latest affordable homes development. Contractors for the Huddersfield-based hou ...
Read more